Saturday, April 17, 2021

WALLS WE BUILD

 I knew Sally had a sister who lives in New Orleans and who has one of the amazing stories to tell about surviving Hurricane Katrina, but I had never met her. A while back I learned that Sally's sister has a blog titled angels and people, life in New Orleans. It takes very little time to follow this blog because several times a week she will post a photograph which she has recently taken, along with a title which may suggest what she sees in it. I am grateful for the connection I discovered with Susanna through Sally.

This I found particularly moving: Figure By Mount Olivet Cemetery fence

  I try to hold this picture in my consciousness as reminder that we have built a wall between our comfortable, middle class existence and the lives of those whom we have excluded and denied opportunities because of race, class or traditional barriers. The walls will not fall of their own accord nor can they be removed by those who are imprisoned by them. We who built them, benefit by them, and who keep them in repair to protect ourselves, must be the ones who remove them.

History of a Slave Songbook.

  

3 comments:

  1. hi Ellie, thanks, I appreciate your kind and interesting words. Everyone can play a part by being a little more loving as we go through life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You, Susanna, shared a gift which I tried to pass along to those open to receiving. I think I remember a song which said, "Its Love that Makes the World Go Round."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank You Ellie - A nice reminder of where we can pay a bit more attention. Jo Ann

    ReplyDelete