Friday, October 23, 2020

GEORGE FOX

Huntington Museum
The Conversion of Saul
By William Blake

 Susan J. who worshiped with us in Gainesville several time last December wrote her thesis at Earham School of religion in 1999.

Susan wrote:
PAUL AND FOX ON THE ROAD TO DAMASCUS:
SENT TO TURN PEOPLE TO THE LIGHT

"After several years of carrying questions and answers back and forth between the texts, it began to dawn on me that Fox was not merely 'using' the Bible, quoting from it of alluding to it as a way of explaining or supporting his position. George Fox was actually living the Bible, and apparently succeeding in communicating how and why others might do so. ...Fox and his followers believed that they were themselves continuing the story that scripture told, becoming apostle and prophets, and so continuing to bring Scripture to fulfillment."

Susan quoted from Fox's Journal:

"After I had received that opening from the Lord, that to be bred at Oxford or Cambridge was not sufficient to make a man a minister of Christ, I regarded the priests less, and looked more after the dissenting people. Among them I saw there was some tenderness; and many of them came afterwards to be convinced, for they had some openings. But as I had given up on the priests, so I also left the separate preachers and those called the most experienced people; for I saw there was none among them all that could speak to my condition. And when all my hopes in them and in all men were gone, so that I had nothing outwardly to help me, nor could anyone  tell me what to do; then, Oh! Then I heard a voice which said, ‘There is one, even Christ Jesus, that can speak to your condition.' When I heard it, my heart leaped for joy. Then the Lord let me see why there was none upon the earth that could speak to my condition; namely, that I might give him all the glory. For all are bound under sin, and shut up in unbelief, as I had been, and to become free, each person must know that Christ is the creator and he alone understands us; he who enlightens, and gives grace, faith, and power. And when God does work, who shall hinder it? This I knew experimentally.

My desires after the Lord grew stronger, and zeal in the pure knowledge of God, and of Christ alone, without the help of any man, book, or writing. For though I read the scriptures that spoke of Christ and of God, yet I knew him only by revelation, as he who has the key did open, and as the Father of life drew me to his son by his spirit."


Susan wrote:

"This incident was clearly a watershed in Fox's life. In he received the core of the message that he would spend the rest of his life proclaiming: that Christ speaks directly to people, and that knowledge of God comes directly, 'without the help of any man, book or writing.' And after the incident, Fox stopped looking for answers from other people, no matter how learned or how well respected they might be. Christ had spoken directly to him, and the message was that Christ speaks directly to people, speaks to our condition and answers our need. He had been 'shut up in unbelief' until he who has the key did open."  


Fox wrote:

"Then the Lord gently led me along, and let me see his love, which was endless and eternal, surpassing all the knowledge that men have in the natural state, or can get by history or books."


No comments:

Post a Comment